Saturday, November 20, 2010

Unexpectedly Being A Tourist

I have been out and about in Barcelona pretty much since I got here. Out of the hotel in the morning and returning maybe for a quick change of clothes for dinner or maybe not. Finding myself being more of a tourist here. The first couple of meals here had me wondering what all the hype was about about Catalonian cuisine. But I am now way back on track. Not that I didn't have a few good things in those first couple of meals, but I have hit the mother lode recently. Had a great lunch in Sitges yesterday at a restaurant recommended by my friend and client Steve Wood, a Spanish wine fan, from a blog that I have referenced for a few of my other great meals, this meal was about paella. Seafood paella! I should mention that I was staring at the sea as at ate my seafood paella, and I should also mention that it was spectacular. Perfectly cooked rice, full of flavor and fresh seafood. A great salad, some croquettes and some mussels rounded out the meal as well as a little cava!

Sitges is a perfect little seaside village about 45 minutes by train south of Barcelona. A perfect day trip for many and I took a chance on it also. A cool and very cloudy day ended up providing me with some of my favorite images from the whole trip. Three of them are posted below. Spent the day walking around, enjoying the town and taking some pictures. Caught the train back in time for a late dinner.

Through Steve's recommended blog, and confirmation from the New York Times, we decided to hit a touch more upscale tapas bar called Tapas C24. Upscale only in food, it was a hoot to wait, watch and then eat. Packed till we left at about 11:30, this place provided the best food yet. Fresh fried sardines were great, the potatas bravas were amazing, the McFoie slider, hum, yeah that was great, a salad that was okay, and the best bite of the night was a mozzarella, jambon and truffle grilled sandwich. OMFG!!! Three more please...

We ended up sitting next to a gal from Boston and her Barcelonian boyfriend and got a great rec for lunch today. After dinner, and having watch from across the bar these two drunk guys hit on these two Scandanvian woman that we met while waiting, we got a drink with the two woman and had a great time at another place down the road and away from the obnoxious guys.

Today was my chance to finally hit the la Boccaria market. A marked change from the markets I saw in Vietnam, this one was clean and very easy to breath in. The seafood area was, well, very fresh and easy to breath in. We got a bite to eat at a tapas place in the market call El Quin. After we finally secured a seat, we had a delicious meal of roasted razor clams, shrimp in a ajuillo sauce, potatas bravas and fresh anchovies in vinegar. Awesome lunch. Spent the rest of the day walking the narrow walking streets of Barcelona. Headed to dinner soon. More tapas...

No comments:

Post a Comment