Sunday, November 7, 2010

Is The Market Tired Or Am I Tired Of The Market?

Let's just say "snail street" rocks! So good we are heading back tonight. Zoom's friend is going to join us. Snails, two different ways, chili garlic sauce and tamarind sauce, sauteed butter crab and grilled fresh "live until we grilled them" shrimp. Bread for dunking and beer.

Got up this morning excited to shoot and head to the Binh Tay Market way out in District 6. The sun was out and I felt like it was going to be the best day yet in Saigon. The market is in the heart of Chinatown and according to Saveur Magazine, one of the 5 great markets in all of SE Asia. It is bustling. This is a working market, not a market for tourists. This place is moving and shaking. This place stinks and is filthy. Real business is being done here, and this translates to no patience for foreign photographers. Everyone is the same. The stares aren't the "go home Yankee" kind, but "the get out of my way, I don't have time for this" kind. This and the feeling of most all market stalls are starting to look the same. My thought? Let eat some breakfast.

We find the hot food stalls and settle in for some bun bo hue. Maybe the best bowl yet. So spicy though I sweated through my shirt. A tad embarrassing, but hey, I won't see any of these folks again. The man serving us was very friendly and his family too. We were eating at his place. Headed back via the travel office where we bought our bus tickets for Can Tho on Tuesday and then walked around Saigon trying to find my creative energy. I think I am looking forward to getting out of Saigon. It is a bit of another big city. The food has been good, but the city uninspiring. Loved Hanoi, Saigon is just okay.

Also had to change hotels this morning. Found a great deal online for the Hotel Majestic. The classic French Colonial hotel in Saigon. I just needed a few nights of great service and unlimited hot water. I am well aware that this doesn't fit the theme or budget for this trip, but it ain't happening in the Mekong Delta. I don't think Zoom is complaining either. I found out after the fact that her room at the last hotel had no windows.

For those keeping score and stats, sun this morning, rain this afternoon.

1 comment:

  1. You forgot to mention how much you liked the white fruit shake called in Vietnamese 'Qua Mang Cau.' Just googled it and realized i know its name in English. It is called soursop

    ReplyDelete