Friday, November 5, 2010

Rain Wins, Gregg Out

Okay, I blinked! Rain scores TKO. As beautiful as Hoi An is, and it is, I can't take the rain any longer. I'm not talking about any sissy drizzle either. I'm talking the constant, driving, heavy shit. The kind that turned me into the worlds largest raisin! And yes, I was wearing a raincoat, a good one. The kind of rain that brought the river up over the banks by this morning, flooding one of the main walking streets. As Zoom and I sat in a cafe on the banks of that river last night, I can tell you that the river, although high, was a foot below the bank at least.

Another minor factor that might have played into the decision? Well... It was my worst hotel choice in a long time, maybe ever. What was I thinking I would get for $13? The $18 hotel in Hue was great. In Hoi An, the hotel staff was great but the rooms were, well, not! How about a bottom sheet and no other covers? There was that blanket in the bottom of the closet, but based on the bathroom, I wasn't taking my socks off, so I certainly wasn't using the blanket. So, I slept with a bath towel as my blanket. And there was that hole in my bathroom wall to the outside, taped over with a sheet of newspaper. It wasn't yesterdays newspaper either. I think the headline was "Americans Leave Saigon". We won't talk about the bugs crawling around the room, I mean they were small ones.

So I am writing this post from the Danang airport on my way to Saigon. A change of plans that I am not sure will bring sun but I know for a fact that it wasn't rainy there today. More later tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment