Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Snake Rice Wine and Spicy Bun Bo Hue

Wow! A much better day than yesterday! Let's see... No rain, still cloudy but no rain, Montazuma must have headed back to Mexico and more confirmation the Vietnamese people are amazing! I'm starting to like this town of Hue.

I thought I would start the day off with a great test for my stomach. We headed out for some Bun Bo Hue. Now this dish is named after this town and it is a spicy broth with noodles and meat. Essentially it is a spicy version of Pho. My version came with beef, pork meatballs and the last piece of pork skin and Zoom had the beef, pork meatballs and the last blood cake. Yes, it's made from pigs blood, very common here and no, I haven't personally tried it yet, but I will. Delicious and my stomach passed the test.

Today we walked everywhere and headed towards the Forbidden City. We wandered around shooting at the Hue market on the way. What a pleasant surprise. Not only a large market, but amazing in it's structure and layout. Not an architectural masterpiece, but lots of narrow alleyways, makeshift roofs, loud, aromatic. It hit all your senses, especially the visual one for me. Pictures below.

Then to the Forbidden City. Once in the gate, we headed to a street vendor to get some water, ended up sitting and having coffee and green tea, talking to a cyclo driver and the owner, a former policeman. Very nice people. The owner said if we returned, drinks were on him. Well, we walked around, shot a bunch of stuff and stopped back at the stand on our way out a few hours later. The owner went and got us some chicken and rice and some tea and then, here it comes... Rice wine fermented with snake. Rob and Deanna, that bottle is real I'm afraid. I don't ever want that sh!+ again, but just by drinking the two shots I feel the new strenghth and testosterone pumping through my body. Yee Haw! Met his wife, had a couple more beers and conversation, then headed back across the bridge to get ready for dinner. That brings us to this moment in the story. I'll write the next chapter soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment